Drawing the uniqueness of pine trees

pine tree bark in charcoal by susan wellington
Pine trees (pinus sylvestris)  W & N artists charcoal on 70g sketchpad A3
I'm just drawing close ups of pine tree bark at the moment to understand them better structurally when I'm painting them. These two pines I see every time I walk to the shops. They're about 70 feet tall and stand there like a doorway into the forest.

I always thought of pine bark as having a kind of elongated diamond pattern. But I didn't realise how strange and unique those bark patterns really are until I drew these trees in detail. I could safely say that every single fragment of bark was a different shape from the other. Sometimes you also see odd looking faces peering out at you.

Other pencil and charcoal posts:

Comments

Popular Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...